"Blood Sucking" Agents

	I was going to respond at length to John Liang's post, but Jeff
Tepper had a very good reply.  So I'll keep my comments brief.

	I can't believe I'm about to stand up for sports agents, but the
term "blood sucking" is way too harsh.  In this particular case, Eric
Fleisher (or whoever) is trying to convince Harrington to skip college for
the NBA.  He's not scamming him out of money with unrealistic promises.
He'll get paid if and only if Harrington gets drafted in the first round
and signs a guaranteed contract.  He's not putting a gun to Harrington's
head.  It's still his choice.  And if Harrington wants to play in the NBA
now, he'll need an agent.  What's wrong with Fleisher trying to win that
role?  He's just pursuing his own self interest.

	If you want to place blame, blame the NBA for allowing teams to
sign players out of high school.  As long as teams can draft them, they
will.  And these young men (without any college education) will need
agents to represent them.  It just seems like some people on this list
were too easily swayed by a biased article that tried to paint Harrington
as a victim being exploited by the system, when he really isn't one.

Jeremy