Re: Re:Bird

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
To: Cecil Wright <cecil@hfx.andara.com>; celtics <celtics@igtc.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 8:07 AM
Subject: Re:Bird

>Hi Cecil:
>
>I agree with you that it is a serious achievement for any pro coach to
>transform a mediocre, veteran team into a 58-win, veteran team.

Especially a rookie coach!

 As for
>McHale as an "Exec of the Year", I guess I think:
>
>1) he should first hire a coach who can turn a team with three
>fabulously gifted and mostly unselfish All Stars into a more dangerous
>contender.

Gotta learn how to crawl before you walk Jo.  The Wolves are walking now and
they'll be jogging soon.

Can you imagine if Rick Pitino had Googs, Marbury and
>Garnett?

Can't deal in "what ifs".  Beside Googs was out for a good part of the
season and they still made the playoffs.

>2) he should not have jumped the gun by overpaying Kevin Garnett. I
>don't think it makes business sense, even if you can legitimately argue
>that Garnett intended to leave Minnesota for elsewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the owner who writes the paychecks?
Are you sure the owner didn't make this decision?

>Having said this, it's true that McHale has made a qualitative
>difference in building Minnesota's talent base. Plus he's just about the
>coolest guy to have ever been associated with the sport.

He's done a very creditable job in an unfamiliar position for him.  Just
shows that members of the Celtic family have an eye for talent.

Cecil