RE: Mercer for Dampier

I think are we closer to being on the same page than not.  If all my research is correct Longley is not a FA this year.  Regardless if their is a way to get him he would fill the center position very well.  Again not a top 10 center but very solid.

Please understand I did not say anywhere that any center below the list I gave, was bad, I would break them down to 3 or 4 groups, with another ten in the 2nd tier.  I would gladly see one those ten in green.  The low tier would include folks like O. Miller and Jim McIllavane.

Of the available FA's these would fill the bill:

Center:  Austin, Stewart and maybe Geiger

PF: (bangers)  J. Williams, Ratliff, Outlaw, Smith, Vaught, and maybe Googs or MyDyess (neither we could afford)

I would lean more to having a stronger PF of this class, like Williams, Ratliff or Outlaw, and maybe try to get Stewart out of Sacramento.  We aren't going to get Austin, and I really don't like the idea of Geiger (I guess).  Though not a FA, Longley would be a great addition.  (Any comments from down under)

It is technically not true that we have to use our FA money this year.  We could wait, assuming no major changes to the CBA, until 99 and then sign AW as a true FA.  Personally I am on the record as not wanting to risk losing AW by waiting.  We then sign Mercer long term.
Can anyone tell us easily who the big name FA's are likely to be in 99?

I also believe, though it may be a pipe dream of greater proportions, that we should test the waters of resigning Fox at the 2/3, banking on the current center crop filling the bill.  This idea leaves us without the big banger we need inside.  What to do, what to do.

My current dream 5 would be:

PG:	  Anderson
SG:  Mercer/Fox
SF:  Fox/Mercer
PF:  Walker
C:    Michael Stewart

Of course my nightmare is the following:

PG:  Wesley
SG:  Mercer
SF:   Fox
PF:  Walker
C:     Duncan

Your comments regarding this lists postings on before trade/after trade ramblings of Chauncy/KA couldn't be more true.  You are very perceptive, I must admit to a small degree I was part of the pre-trade crowd.  I like KA a lot, but am concerned for his health.  If the 10 pick is marginal then I am for packaging a Minor/Knight scenario with the pick to get who knows what.

Back to fun stuff myself,
Greg