re:Hail to the Chief

Patrick wrote:
"I don't have any cold stats in front of me but I really don't
think Parish was a 20/10 player at GS--I think his numbers were quite
similar to Geiger's in fact. etc."

"Please correct me if I'm wrong here.  Let's keep it clean out there."

****

Hi Patrick and everyone else:

In case no one else on the list replied as yet, Robert Parish actually
averaged 17.0 ppg and 10.9 rpg the last season he played for the
Warriors (he averaged a very solid 17.2ppg and 12.1 rpg over 76 games
the year before that) on a team that relied mostly on John Lucas and, I
think, Pervis Short as their big gunners. So to be fair, the Chief was
an established double-figure NBA rebounder and not a 7-boards-per-game
guy like Doleac or Geiger. (But I think in those days there may have
been more double-figure rebounders in the NBA in general, although not
dramatically more).

Anyway, thanks a lot Patrick for making me feel like a rotisserie geek
by running instinctively to check up the Chief's stats! After all, I
could have just as easily made it up, since he was so remarkably
consistent from year to year.

Lastly regarding your post, I vaguely remember reading some time ago a
quip from Geiger's agent saying something to the effect that
"7-million-a-year might not be enough" (in reference to the Celt's cap
space). Can anyone on the list confirm? As far as I'm concerned,
7-mill-a-year is too much unless Gaston's business plan is to target the
growing bald white male community to purchase season tickets to watch a
45-wins-per-year (maximum) team.

IMO, Geiger will not average even a low double-double for the Celtics or
anyone else next year. For various reasons, I think he would end up
splitting PT with the other (relatively dirt cheaper) big guys we
already have and finish next season averaging slightly fewer boards than
he did in this, his jackpot, year. It's just my opinion, though.

Joe Hironaka
Paris

PS:  I'd be stunned if Antonio McDyess signed a 7-9 million offer sheet
to play for Boston, and even more bewildered if Danny Ainge failed to
match it. A Grant Hill for Antoine Walker straight trade would shock me
also, if somewhat less.

BTW, is it really true that Grant Hill tends to fade in crunch time? I
don't regularly watch Pistons games (who does!?) and I don't recall how
well he played in close games back when he was at Duke, although
obviously I know Duke won most if not all of the close games he played
in.

****