What if ...

I've been thinking a bit about what could have happened if we had the
benefit of hindsight in the Pitino era. I know, its a futile exercise, but
just something to think about all the same ...

For one thing, we could have kept Eric Williams, Rick Fox and David
Wesley. That would not have cost us significantly as far as the other
signees such as Mills, whom we ultimately traded for McCarty and so on.If
we had signed Fox first and then Mills, we would have had both their
services. If so, looking at the success of Wesley at Charlotte, we
probably wouldn't have had such an intense need for a point guard. And
then we might not have had such a tough time with Charlotte since they
wouldn't have had a PG with a vengence. OK, so that would have tied us
down a bit as far as flexibility with the cap is concerned, but well that
could be resolved with the right trades. Now, if Williams and Fox had
played well, that would have increased their trade value. And since
Williams injury had been a function of the situation and him being at the
wrong place at the wrong time, it probably is one that might not have
happened were he with us.

Alright, so that leaves us with an abundance of forwards. But then, we
would have a third outside shooter in Fox besides Mercer and Barros. Our
starting lineup would then be

C - Declerq
PF - Walker
SF - Fox
SG - Mercer
PG - Wesley
6th - Williams

Bench: Knight, Mills, Barros, Minor, Ellison, Bowen

Then we could have traded Mills and got McCarty etc. Or be4 the trading
dateline, we could have packaged Mills and Williams for Austin or Geiger.
Which would give us:

C - Geiger/Austin
PF - Walker
SF - Fox
SG - Mercer
PG - Wesley

Interesting train of thought isn't it? But pointless. - Danny