On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Shailendra K. Mishra wrote:

> > From owner-celtics@igtc.COM Mon Mar 30 09:52:17 1998
> >
> > He was signing things left and right not too long ago - for a sizable fee.
> >
> > K. Kveraga
> >
> Well let say this he didn't sign any for free and it doesn't make him any lesser
> player. - Mishra

In _Cousy on the Celtic Mystique_, Bob Cousy wrote about Russell's
non-signing of autographs.  Russell claimed it was because of the way he
was treated as a black man, but Cousy suspected that it was just
a good excuse for being lazy about it.  Apparently Russell was unflinching
about it too - Cousy told stories of how he would be horrified as he and
Russell would be eating, someone would come up and politely ask for an
autograph and Russell would flat-out ignore them.  Wouldn't even
acknowledge they were even there.  Cousy would quickly sign and allow the
person to save some face.

Interesting enough, there is a not-so-uncommon-but-you-won't-see-it-on-
NBC-because-they're-busy-hyping-Kobe film clip of Russell signing an
autograph for a young fan.  He then glared into the camera as he walked
by.  He looked like he was wearing a school jacket, it might have been
from his college days.

I don't begrudge Russell or any other athlete for not signing autographs.
Most of these guys sign at the beginning with the best of intentions, but
it's easy to get worn out and cynical, especally when guys are coming at
you with stacks of cards and dollar signs in their eyes.  Then after
signing a zillion autographs you decide enough's enough and you get to be
called a jerk by the fans who were left out.

I'll take as many Bill Russell's as I can get, whether they sign
autographs or not.

Dan