Re: Pitino's comments on players

> >Mercer:
> >"He could be a prolific scorer in this league."
> >

> He could be.  Needs to extend his range 2 or 3 feet.

I agree. When he starts shooting consistently from 3-point range
and continues improving his ability to beat his man and get to
the basket, watch out! Pitino mentioned earlier that Mercer needed
to develop more dribble moves.

> >McCarty:
> >compared him to Dale Ellis.
>
> In what way.  I don't see playing significant minutes on a team not
> coached by Ricky P.

Pitino was trying to build his confidence in his three-point shooting
by calling him "Dale." For a while it seemed to be working.

> >DeClercq:
> >"A jump shot away from being outstanding."
>
> Aren't we all?  That said love his hustle and heart.

Yeah, people made fun of this statement a lot but there's some
truth to it. If DeClerq could shoot even as well as Knight, it would
add an important new dimension to his game.

> >Dontae' Jones:
> >"He doesn't understand the game of basketball."
>
> Really, I hadn't noticed.  Really though he needs a lot of work, but that
> kind
> of athleticism is nice to have around.  With the right kind of coaching and
> work ethic he could blossom.

Pitino's comment was because Dontae' could become a great post-up and slashing
small forward (with his athleticism) but he was determined to be a gunner
instead. I think Pitino is frustrated with him and will dump him next year.

Alex