Post Game Comments

I think they looked okay today, but they still have the same
flaws that don't permit them to beat the top teams in the NBA.
They show their immaturity often in crunch time, and they have no
answer for a team with a good center.

1.  Bob Cousy kept saying that "they'll go to (Reggie) Miller in
crunch time, maybe every other possession, or maybe every
possession."  Disagree.  Against the Celtics at this stage in
their development, Smits is their key man.  He looked almost as
dominating as in their last meeting in January.  When the Celts
get their big man, then they'll have to get in Miller's face when
he lauches his treys.  Until then, I'm sure Larry Bird is quite
aware of the Celtics' weakness in the paint.

2.  I like it when the Celtics press on defense, but again,
against a good team like Indiana they beat it a couple of times
resulting in guys left alone under the basket for easy layups.
Can Pitino's KU press system work in the NBA?  I still have
nightmares over what he did to UMass in 1996 (of course, Camby
did worse to his own team...), but the really good teams in the
league will figure out how to get around it.  Guys who pass
quicker and more accurate will cause Pitino to lose a bit of
sleep at times.

3.  Did you see Bird leave the court with a glum look on his
face?  He should be.  He must be real upset that his team played
relatively sloppy at times and let Boston hang around as long as
it did at home.  As much as the Celtics are learning to play
better as a team, the bitter fact remains that Indiana could have
won by 8-15 points if they had played better.  Their shooting %
was just as inconsistent as the Celtics.

4.  I like the Celtics' heart, and the fact that they fought
every minute out there.  They gave Indy a good game and ought to
be happy.  They'll start winning games like this real soon.

--
Bob George

Read Bob George's Best Of Boston Sports At
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/7018/index.html