Re: Billups

At 02:52 PM 3/7/98 -0500, Bentz wrote:
>Well, let's see, is it really fair to compare Billups and Anderson.  KA
>does have a little more experience than did CB.  Plus, this is supposed
>to be a team building for the future, not one that is going for it all
>today.  I would hope KA is a better point guard than CB today, as we
>really are bad off if not.
>
>That is not the question, the question is in 3 years, or 5 years, who
>will be the one you want to be there.  I predict that if there is an NBA
>then, we will wish CB was back in Beantown.  He has the better future.

But nope, that's not the entire question. I agree totally that it's not fair
to compare KA at this stage with Billups at this stage in their respective
careers.

However, there are two things you have to look at in the 3-5 years down the
road aspect. The players development and the team's. Chauncey's need to
develop was interfering with the development of the other players. Not
Chauncey's fault, just a simple fact. And not just a matter of winning more
today. Look at the uinleashing of Mercer now that he actually gets to see
the ball. That's the cornerstone of HIS future you're seeing built before
your eyes. Look at Walker learning to be more of a team player and taking
advantage of/developing his skills other than shooting more. And that's his
best asset -versatility, not being a guy who takes 30 shots a night. So, 3-5
years down the road, would the Cs be a better team if they had kept Billups,
with slower over all development and a year or two of ingrained bad habits
because they had an inexperienced point who didn't have the
experience/ability to force the others into better play (and that's those
little things again -like not giving Walker the ball all the time, leading
players into the shots they should take, encouraging movement and all around
passing necause people know they'll get the ball, etc etc ). Especially
because it's still not proven that Billups ever will develop into a solid
point.

This is not intended as a criticiam of Billups. I was sorry to see him go
and agree that he should turn into a fine player. But the problem is that
waiting for him to get there would not occur in a vacuum. And team
management has to have more concern for the overall team development over
that of one player. You usually have to give up something worthwhile to get
something worthwhile. The evidence that that's what we did is on the court
in front of us and in the cap room flexibility we will have in the future.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net