Pertinent Questions

Sorry for that aborted post, all.  What I was about to say was:

Evan LaGosse wrote:

<<Since I just got here, I'm sure you've already discussed these things
but
it has been so long since I got to talk Celtics that I need to ask a few
questions:

1) What does everyone think about the Billups trade? Short term and long
term.

2) What do people think about Ron Mercer? From what I've seen, he looks
like he could be very good someday (sooner rather than later)

3) Should the C's sign Walker if he asks for 100 million or more? It
seems
to me that they have to give him whatever he asks for or the franchise
will be right back where they were a couple years ago.

4) Who are possible free agents that might come to Boston this summer?
Pitino has been busy clearing cap space, who's out there? I know Matt
Geiger is one, what about Vin Baker? (is his contract up this year or
next?) Joe Smith? Antonio McDyess?

5) What about a top-tier big man? Travis Knight's contract is the most
ridiculous thing since Bryant Reeves and Chris Dudley's deals. Is losing
out on Duncan going to haunt them for years to come? Also, what do
people
think about Declerque and Ellison.

6) I thought Jon Thomas was going to be a good player. Did the Celtics
lose out on a possible gem?

7) Who will be Pitino's infamous "3 all-stars?" Walker, Mercer,
Anderson???>>

Welcome to the list, Evan.

1) Like many, I screamed bloody murder about losing Chauncey.  I still
think he will be an excellent NBA "guard guard", possibly an All-Star (I
think Cecil's preseason Jojo White comparison was right on the money).
My favorite thing about Chauncey is his fearlessness -- sure, he makes a
lot of mistakes, but he will take and make a lot of big shots during his
career.  That said, it's tough to argue with what Anderson has done
for the team since the trade.  If he stays healthy and focused, the
beneficial effect on Mercer and Walker will more than offset the loss of
Chauncey.  I'm also holding out hope that either Popeye or the player we
get with his and Tabak's cap space will help.

2) Mercer is amazing.  He, not Billups, should have the "Smooth"
tattoo.  'Nuff said.

3) The Celtics MUST sign Walker.  Unless the league wins the looming tug
of war and puts in a modified right of first refusal system, the Celtics
must give him whatever he wants because he is a 21 year old legitimate
All Star.  Yes, he needs to improve his shot selection -- a lot -- cut
down the turnovers, and tone down the wiggling.  However, the biggest
complaint on the list seems to be that Antoine isn't Larry Bird.  P.S.
-- thanks for the high school insight, Davide.  It gives some needed
context.

4)  Baker isn't up until '99 -- if Pitino can figure out a way to fit
him in without giving up Mercer or Walker, he belongs in the Hall of
Fame now.  McDyess and Smith are out of the Celtics' price range, as is
Gugliotta.  I think all of the free agent speculation may need to wait,
though, until we see what the new rules (if any) will be.  We may be in
for a long wait, and today's RIDICULOUS Sprewell ruling can't have
helped.

5) I don't know if losing Duncan is haunting the C's, but it's sure as
hell haunting ME.  I said before the lottery that I thought Duncan
would be the best center to come out of college since Olajuwon (and
yes, that means better than Ewing, Robinson and O'Neal).  I've never
been so sorry to be right.  DAMN THOSE PING PONG BALLS (or cards, or
whatever the &*^% they're using these days).  DAMN THE SPURS AND THEIR
TANKED SEASON.

6) I didn't like losing John Thomas either, but it's hard to see how he
will ever become a better player than Popeye Jones was before his ACL
tear.

7) I can't think of a third candidate on this roster.

P.S.  I move we sentence all the statheads to listen to an endless tape
loop of athletes talking about "giving 110%".

Michael Gooen