RE: Does he have a tattoo?

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, John Lyell wrote:

> > For the record, I think Antoine Walker is a helluva player but he has
> > weaknesses like every other human being, including the trashtalking IMO.
> > You have the right to disagree.  But his field goal % is up?  To what
> > from what since when?  Walker works hard, but no harder than Bowen does
> > on defense, or DeClercq for that matter or most of his teammates.  He
> > sets screens.  What big man doesn't?  So does Abdur Rahim.  It's not a
> > case of making fun of Toine or anything like that.  Why is it not worthy
> > to have him show respect for the opposing team?  Is there some strategy
> > behind that?  For my opinion, you call me a Puritan.  Think it over Paul.
> >

> > Some excellent points.  Hey aren't Walker & Rahim due to become free agents at the same time ?
>
> Who would you rather have ?
>
> I like Rahim's game even though his team sucks he has the grant hill type skills.

Hi everybody,

I just subscribed to the list. I'm a college student on the west coast (in
the heart of Laker country) but I am originally from Concord, Mass. I've
been a huge Celtics fan my whole life and the last few years have been
pretty rough, but its nice to finally read about the Celtics. I have to
read the L.A. Times every day and hear about Shaq and Kobe, it makes me
sick!

Anyway, I definitely think Antoine is the next guy in the long line of
great Celtics players. He genuinly loves wearing green and is much more
mature than many young players in the NBA. He's no Rider, Wallace, or
Sprewell by any means. He's got all the talent and, in my opinion, the
right attitude to be a perrenial all-star. Mark my words, the C's will get
banner 17 with Walker in green. And the next number to go up into the
rafters will be #8. (well, a little hyperbole never hurt)

Since I just got here, I'm sure you've already discussed these things but
it has been so long since I got to talk Celtics that I need to ask a few
questions:

1) What does everyone think about the Billups trade? Short term and long
term.

2) What do people think about Ron Mercer? From what I've seen, he looks
like he could be very good someday (sooner rather than later)

3) Should the C's sign Walker if he asks for 100 million or more? It seems
to me that they have to give him whatever he asks for or the franchise
will be right back where they were a couple years ago.

4) Who are possible free agents that might come to Boston this summer?
Pitino has been busy clearing cap space, who's out there? I know Matt
Geiger is one, what about Vin Baker? (is his contract up this year or
next?) Joe Smith? Antonio McDyess?

5) What about a top-tier big man? Travis Knight's contract is the most
ridiculous thing since Bryant Reeves and Chris Dudley's deals. Is losing
out on Duncan going to haunt them for years to come? Also, what do people
think about Declerque and Ellison.

6) I thought Jon Thomas was going to be a good player. Did the Celtics
lose out on a possible gem?

7) Who will be Pitino's infamous "3 all-stars?" Walker, Mercer,
Anderson???

OK, I think I've gotten it all off my chest. Thanks for providing me with
a place to discuss the Celtics. I would love to hear anybody's comments on
these questions or anything else.

Evan LaGasse
University of Redlands
01elagra@uor.edu