No Subject

Starke wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
> > The Pacers beat Portland by 124-59. First time an NBA team was ever doubled
> > up in the score. In football this is called piling on. I don't think this
> > will go down as one of Larry Birds finest moments, and this may come back
> > to haunt him this season or next. The sooner the better. Pros tend not to
> > forget.
>
> You can't tell your players not to score, especially in the pros.  If Portland
> is that bad, then it's their problem.

  From what I saw and read in the box score, Indiana put all their bench
players in for almost the whole second half, and Indiana's bench outplayed
Portland's to the tune of 40-16 in the 4th quarter.

  All 12 of Indiana's players took at least 3 shots.  Every single one
of their 12 players shot 50% or better!  THAT'S AMAZING!  No player on
Indiana scored more than 18 points.

  Indiana only had 77 FG attepts in the game, but hit 63.6%
Portland had 72 attempts, and hit only 33%.  They missed a lot of layups,
from what ESPN showed.

  Free throw shooting:
Indiana   17 of 22
Portland   8 of 19

  That sounds like Portland doing it to themselves, and Indiana not trying
to run up the score, but just shooting incredibly well from the field.

  The score was 45-15 at one point early in the second quarter, and only
84-43 after 3 quarters, so during the one and a half quarters in between
it was only 39-28, Indiana.  I guess the bench players were just excited
to play, and the lead shot up in the 4th quarter.

  Or maybe Larry's just such a great coach that he's even got the end of
his bench able to outplay most other teams' starters.  :-)

Jon Mc