Re: LB rule adaptaion

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:11:36 -0500, Nathan A. wrote:

>Here's my idea for a compromise on the LB rule. I don't know if anyone would
>go for it but it just popped into my head.
>
>I would like to have Team A be able to go over the cap to sign players that
>were drafted by Team A. This would cut some of the team hopping of free
>agents, and teams would be able to build with their own players. This is a
>lot like the current LB rule, but would only apply to the team that
>origionally drafts the player.

	I think that Nathan may be on to something here.  The utter
disregard the league has been showing the college game over the last
couple of years has the potential to do real damage to both.  The NBA
and the college games thrive because they have a symbiotic
relationship (many college fans follow the pro game to see how their
former college players are doing, and many pro fans follow the college
sport to see who might be coming to their favorite pro team).

	I've thought for a while that the current set of NBA salary
cap rules, greatly diminish the importance of the college draft, but
it doesn't have to be that way.  Nathan's suggestion would be a way to
help restore the balance.

Bill C.