Re: LockOUT!

Noah P. Evans wrote:

> > Anyone under contract can't play anywhere else.  They can sit.

Players who are under contract have a personal services contract.  You can't
force them to perform, but they can't go elsewhere and play.  The players are
members of the Union and the owners have the legal right to lock them out.
Therefore, they are not released from their contracts.

> Really? Since the players are under contract why doesn't the league have to
> pay them then? You're a lawyer right? Could you please enlighten us? I don't
> mean this as a joke, I really want to know.
>
> > But, who's
> > going to pay to go see a joke of a player's league or substitute
> > players.
>
> I would. I'd love to see a basketball game whose proceeds weren't going to
> some parasitical owner.

The players are no better than the owners.  Who's going to decide how much you
get paid, Latrell Sprewell?  What chaos would result.  The agents would end up
running such a league and that's what they want anyway.  But in the end that
would backfire on them as well.  Who's going to pay for the salaries, arenas
etc.?  No way the players could pull it off.  And oh yeah, they'd have to pay
for their own hotels and transportation etc.  How much do the players get for
those benefits too!  And what about refs?

That won't work.

--

Peace,

Bentz