mysterious leprechauns

Hi list:

    While I'm still wringing my hands over why the Celts's brass didn't
give Paul Pierce at least a perfunctory interview and physical exam
before the draft, I guess sometimes the leprechauns work in mysterious
ways.

    After all, a certain Bob Cousy proudly wore the Boston Celtics
jersey despite the entry draft hopes of a grumpy Red Auerbach. And to
some extent, Kevin McHale also was a consolation prize to NCAA superstar
Darrell Griffith (what ever happened to him?), considering the Celtics
already had big men Dave Cowens, Rick Robey and Robert Parish on their
roster at the time.

    Is this what you call a "rationalization"?  Now we've drafted a
card-carrying Faker fan who's still hanging out there on the left coast
eating his vegetarian couscous.  I really hope the leprechauns work in
mysterious ways.   I won't trust this kid until the day he waves off
Antoine in the final seconds of a Celtics-Fakers game to toss in a
floater over Shaq.... or when Paul "clothes-lines" Kobe Bryant so hard
that he barfs up an entire tofu cube salad on national television.  For
now, I still can't picture Paul Pierce being that kind of Celtic.

    While he is surely an upgrade over last year's starter (Greg Minor),
the Celtics have in no way addressed the woeful rebounding and
free-throw gap of last season. IMO, they should only give Pierce 12-15
minutes-per-game at small forward (plus 12-15 more at guard), with Ron
getting most of the shooting-guard minutes (30+ per) and 'Toine getting
significant time at small forward. That way, 'Toine could play 20+
minutes-per-game alongside "Sailer Man", who hopefully can still deliver
8+ rebounds in 28 minutes-per-game with his repaired knee. As a
situational guard, I hope Pierce can make a forceful impact as a
rebounder and poster-upper, whereas I'm fairly sure he'll have trouble
consistently working the paint against many of the crafty "small"
forwards in the league. This ain't Kansas, Toto (or whatever the phrase
is).

    In sum, I think Boston will have the league's most stylish and
videogenic team but they are going to look a bit soft against
playoff-calibre teams, and I HATE SOFT!!   Where have you gone, Larry
Joe?

    Sorry for this ambivalent post.  BTW, I loved reading this
week-ends' posts, especially all insights regarding the CBA from Michael
Byrnes, Kim Malo etc. For some reason, I laughed uncontrollably upon
reading Witch's "Asswipe/Douchebag" retort. I don't blame his reaction
to the false accusation, but I hope you guys have already straightened
out your differences and that we can keep things clean on the list.

***