Re: Pierce

>The more I think about it, the more I think that Pierce solves lots of
>problems for the Celts.  Obviously, he's a scoring three with great
>potential.  He gives us four top players, each capable of being an all
>star.  But he also gives us a sort of Antoine-insurance.
>
>My hopeful scenario is that Antoine will come to the realization that 15 or
>16 million is enough per year and accept a compromise--that being a
>champion in Boston is preferable to being "the man" for some two-bit
>franchise.  I do want him to stay.
>
>But if he puts "market value" (give me a break) above sanity and team,
>then Pierce is our insurance.  He is a twenty point, six rebound man as a
>three (that's not too much to suggest).  We (reluctantly) trade Walker for
>a very good #4 and a draft choice, and we're not too much worse off of
>our '97-'98 performance.
>
>With someone who can rebound and hit a 15 foot jumper at four,
>with Popeye to back him up, we would have to re-orient a bit, but I could
>live with that.  Pierce and Mercer would get the shots and we would
>need Pitino's scoring center.  Just a possibility, folks; perhaps a real one.
>
>I don't know the odds on Walker and Falk both being realistic.
>
>Gene

That says it perfectly Gene. How much damn money does a person need?
Garnett stuffs himself at the trough, Gugliotta's gotta go. Walker gets his
money, and the C's are hamstrung in getting someone else to help them win.
These guys are all greedy, giving lip service to the notion that , "Ijust
wanna win." Falk is doing his clients a disservice because all he wants is
the biggest four percent he can get. Hey Antoine, you want to make the
really big money?  Make reasonable
demands, so that the Celtics have room enough to get an elite squad around
you. Then win!  A "Antoine Walker, World Champion," is going to clean up on
endorsements, much more so than "Antoine Walker, big #'s gunner on a losing
team."

                                               Michael D.