RE: What now?

[Meninno, James A.]  It's not how many that worry's me.  I like Dana,
but he's not a real point.  He works as a backup, but when Kenny's out
this team takes a serious drop.  At all times either Kenny, Dana or Tyus
must be on the floor, there are no other guards who can play the point
even briefly.  Take any one out for a few games and we're dangerously
weak.  Look what happened at the end of the year.  I'd have rather seen
Minor go than Dee Brown.  At least Dee could play point in an emergency.

> >My nominations for who I would like to see gone before training camp
> >are...Travis Knight, Pervis Ellison, Zan Tabak, Dontae Jones, Greg
> Minor
> >(surely there's no need for him now).  Travis would be the key to
> allow
> >signing a decent center.
>
> My nominations are as under:
>
> Knight: With Pierce signing I would like to retain Travis. He can be
> utilised in a number of ways as a backup PF, as a starting PF/C and as
> center.
[Meninno, James A.]  There's no point talking back up PF while Antoine
is playing that position.  Besides, I'd rather see Popeye and Andrew
share the role and have a decent defensive free agent center signed.  I
think we are very versatile from SG up to Center with any number of
players being able to fill multiple roles (aside from the fact that we
don't have a real center).  However, as I said, our only three point
guards can only play point guard (I'm including Dana here because Rick
wouldn't put him on the floor with another small guard).

> Ellison:
> The C's should try and prove that Pervis can't play because of his
> injuries
> and get half his salary back into the cap.
[Meninno, James A.]  Can we all get together and pray for this to
happen?  Not to wish injuries on anyone, but if Minor gets traded I vote
Pervis to help him move.

> Tabak: Waive
>
> Dontae Jones: Keep because he could be usefull in aquiring a role
> player by
> the trading deadline.
[Meninno, James A.]  Granted.  If they can use him in a trade, great.
We do have about 15 bodies, though, and waiting for the deadline on him
might mean roster problems somewhere else.

> Minor: There is no other option but to keep, he is our backup SF.
[Meninno, James A.]  How many do we need?  Pierce, McCarty and Bowen
should suffice.  And we have far more flexibility here than at PG with
Mercer and Walker able to play SF.

> > A three
> >way where LA gets Knight, someone gets Van Excel and we get a big
> young
> >body sounds good to me.  Keon Clark?  Probably not strong enough for
> >what we need, but wow would we be athletic then.
>
> The Van Exel deal is already done.
[Meninno, James A.]  I missed that in all the excitement.  Any trade
where we give up Travis for a big young body would be fine.  The idea
would be to take Travis' salary to put towards the free agent we're
shopping for.