Peter Delevett wrote:

>          Reply to:   RE: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V5 #219
> These Walker (or Mercer) for Olowokandi rumors give me the creeps. C'mon,
> let's not forget this kid has only been playing ball for 3 years and has
> not exactly faced top-notch competition at the formidable University of
> the Pacific. He has amazing upside, true, but both Toine and Ron are proven
> commodities who will only get better. I'd love to see Kandi in green, but
> not at this cost. I'd much rather take Clark and keep our two best
> players.
	Most of these trade hopes are written by Antoine and Ron detractors. I
do not believe that Pitino will trade either, (he knows he has 2 future
probable all stars right now) for any reason unless there is a serious
contract problem. Right now it is no big deal with Antoine signed thru
this year and Ron signed thru next year and with the NBA probably having
a lockout thru at least training camp that there is no big hurry by the
C's or any other team to trade their young players until they see how it
all turns out. The end result of the lockout will probably end up with a
little more benefit for the owners side any way. God forbid some of
these players had to go out into the real world and find a job it would
probably make for a new sitcom on TV, so I do not think that the players
lockout will be that long but then again you never know.

> LaFrentz/Jamison also could be a real possibility -- Bay Area papers are
> saying G'State will take Hughes if still there, meaning Dallas (who
> covets Hughes) might opt for Nowitzki. If so, and if Milwaukee goes big (Clark
> or Doleac), that would mean either Jamison or Raef would have to fall to
> us. It's a long shot, but a plausible one. Re: Celts and Nowitzki, let's
> not forget the kid's reputation was based on ONE GAME vs. a US high school
> All Star team. From everything I've read, there's no way he'd play in the
> NBA next year, maybe not for two years. And to look at photos of him, I
> have a hard time seeing him pack on enough muscle to play in the post.
> Anyway, I'm on the digest version of this list, meaning that by the time
> I get your responses (if any) to this, the draft will be over and the
> mystery solved.
	I find it hard to swallow that Pitino will draft any one that he
doesn't think can help at once. He will probably take a shot with the
kid from UNLV who seems from all accounts that I have read that he has a
pretty good upside talent wise. If Pitino thinks he can straighten him
out attitude wise then he seems to be the perfect fit for the C's needs.
But you are right we will know all in the next 8 or 10 hours.
Regards,
Hart