Drives vs. Passes

On 15 Jun 98, at 5:28, Tom Eisele wrote:

> the only thing I can think of is that the speed of todays players is such
> that they can drive to the hoop at will, very hard to defend. So who do
> you get to defend them? More guys just like them, incredibly fast guys who
> have always been able to go to the hole and continue to do so. It seems
> the old passing game was as much out of necessity as was the style of the
> game. I could be out in left field on this but what do you guys think is
> the reason?

IMO, the drives to the hoop are a direct consequence of an officiating style that
allows the "4 steps, lunge and grunt" play.  If executed by a "superstar", there is
no call for travelling, none for charging, and most likely a call on the defense
resulting in 2-3 points for the shooter.

Magic Johnson used to make these wonderful sounds when driving to the hoop.
Even when he wasn't touched, he made it sound like he had just been whacked
by a defender.  Just a little something extra, in case the refs happen to miss
something...<grin>

I would say something about an official NBA position to encourage "Showtime",
but Daniel Ellsberg has yet to supply us with documents from the
commissioner's office.

Don

Donald Mamula    Kirkland WA      mamula@oz.net
All opinions are those of the guest, and do not
reflect those of station ownership, management,
staff or advertisers. We will provide time for
opposing viewpoints...