Re: responses to trade thoughts

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
To: Cecil Wright <nocw1@nsh.library.ns.ca>; celtics@igtc.COM
<celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Friday, June 12, 1998 2:21 AM
Subject: Re: responses to trade thoughts

>Cecil Wright writes:
>> I would be hesitant to trade Mercer because I believe, based on the play
>> of his rookie season, that he has the potential to average 20 ppg.  It
>> may not happen this coming season, but I would think his average will be
>> in the 15-18 ppg for sure, hopefully closer to 18.
>
>I agree with you. Over the second half of the season, I think he was
>averaging around 18 ppg. I don't have any doubts that he'll be able
>to do this. But I don't think this makes him untradable for a superstar.

Again, my request for a superstar is in the event that BOTH Kenny and Ron
were to be traded.  Trading the two of them should necessitate being
replaced by a superstar in order for any such trade to occur IMO and I'm not
sure that will take place.

>There are quite a few players that are capable of averaging 18 ppg for a
>bad or average team. Mercer also needs to help his team in ways other than
>the shoot-off-the-screen, set-play scoring: through great defense,
>rebounding, creating his own offense, etc.

I think Mercer played decent defense last year for a rookie.  All of a
sudden I'm seeing the odd post pop up which says someof us think he's a
saint.  I've never said that, but now that you mention it, I do think he has
carried himself very professionally and have high hopes that he can continue
to play at a higher level in the future.

>Truly none of us have much insight into Gaston's head so I can only guess.
>Pippen is not going to ask for $30M because the only team that could pay
>him that is Chicago, which will never happen. He'll have to take market
>value, and not under the Bird exception, which will limit him to around
>$15M/year. Gaston may be willing to pay this because it's a shorter
contract,
>and because Pippen is a proven All-NBA, All-Defensive, multiple
championship
>performer.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the only team that would pay him large
dollars is Chicago.  I'll bet the Lakers, after the unceremonious playoff
debacle this year, would find a way to offer him a substantial deal, or
Phoenix for that matter.
>> I understand you're saying that this is only a possible scenario and
>> you're right anything is possible.  But I for one would not be pleased at
>> losing Anderson, Mercer and potentially Walker as well, not knowing who
>> we'd be receiving to take their place.
>
>Yes, of course trading them with nobody in mind would be depressing.
>At the very least, I would assume that Pitino would get a higher (top 5)
>draft pick and cap room for either player, with a particular player in
>mind (LaFrentz? Could he ever play center in the NBA?). In the case of
>Pippen or another big free agent, probably the deal would be negotiated
>and agreed to first, and then a cap-clearing trade, similar to what
>happened with Mills.
>
>In any case, I can't wait to see what happens on draft day. Any way, it'll
>be very interesting. The prospect of the lockout takes away some excitement
>though.
>
>Alex

Personally, I hope we avoid LaFrentz.  I would rather see us pick Doleac if
there was a choice between the two.

Cecil