Re: Karl Malone

About your several points:

I don't recall McHale ever being ineffective offensively for very long. He
was 6-11, had truly great post moves and extra long arms.

I think Rodman was pretty good defensively against Bird, but, of course,
McHale and Parish had good offensive games, too, and the team had reasonably
good scoring from the guards, with guys like Dennis Johnson seeming to
actually shoot better in pressure situations.

I think Rodman would try to slow down McHale sometimes, but he couldn't. I
don't think the refs let him do his drape-himself-all-over-the-other-guy
stuff, either, though he was known as kind of a dirty player even then.

Actually, the best defender against Bird was Michael Cooper of the Lakers,
if I remember correctly. He really gave Bird problems. He was quick, didn't
take his fakes and I guess was strong enough to defend Bird inside.

However, Bird could shoot 5-16, but have 14 rebounds, 10 assists, 4 steals,
hit 8 of 9 free throws and get the job done even when he was being hounded.
Iif he hit a cold streak on his jumpers, he would take the ball to the hole,
and score or get fouled, even though he couldn't jump.

He was just so much more mentally tough and multi-talented than Malone
appears to be, despite being a physical specimen.

-Dan M.