BIRD/JORDAN COMPARISON

I just have to say, Rich, that Bird never got the sort of attention
Jordan gets.  When he was playing, of course, Jordan was starting and
already getting attention, and then there was Magic.  Bird did not
pander to the press.  He didn't do very many commercials, either, and he
was known for team basketball, as the Celtics always have been, at least
until now.  Before Pippin developed, the Bulls were known as “Jordan and
the Jordonaires”.  When you think about it, it's still true.  I suppose
there's something to be said for the fact that Jordan is very
photogenic, very well spoken, etc.  He's a PR dream.  Barkley, and
particularly Rodman, get the attention for opposite reasons.  Bird
simply wasn't like that.  I watched him his whole career, and although
he did get some calls, he really didn't get anywhere the number Jordan
does.  When a player drops his shoulder into whoever's guarding him
almost every time he drives to the basket, it should be a foul, but
because it's Jordan, and because he always does it, the refs don't call
it.  Watch them call it on others, though.
    My objections are not so much to the man himself, but to the
“selling” of Jordan by the NBA and by NBC.  I've avoided NBC's
broadcasts of the NBA which always include one game of Chicago's, just
about every weekend, for the reasons stated by others.  They do it for
the ratings.  I personally feel all the teams should have a couple of
games broadcast on the network, because more people can receive them and
all teams have fans all over the world.  But NBC doesn't feel the
ratings will be good, and they won't make money.  We all know that's
what it's all about.
    Oh, well, perhaps when Jordan gets out of the NBA team basketball
will become important again.  One can hope.
Dorine