facials, etc

>P.S. Out of curiosity, is shouting, making loud footsteps or clapping
>your hands near the shooter a defensive violation in a regulation
>basketball game?

I believe shouting, clapping, sticking your hand in the face of the shooter,
etc., in a game with refs, could be called at the discretion of the referee.
In a pickup game, the only thing I call is the hand in the face, if it
bothers my shot.  The other stuff I let go.

I consider all of it (shouting, clapping) to be the tactics of a player
without the skills or drive to play the game is it should be played.

One tactic I have seen on many occasions, is running at a players midsection
or knees as he/she shoots the ball.  Very poor sportsmanship, very dangerous
too.  When this has been done to me, I give one warning, then the next time
it happens, I kick my leg out as I shoot.  Tends to make them remember to
not do it again.

What other weird tactics have you folks seen tried in games?

Mark Estepp				704 262 3111
Appalachian State University			704 265 8696 (fax)
Esteppjm@AppState.edu