Pitino's GM work

During the offseason, Pitino signed multiple "mediocre" players as
opposed to one big star, which some have suggested is a mistake.
Another proposal is to have saved the cap room for next offseason.
I think he has his reasons for doing this and we'll have to see
how his midseason and offseason trades pan out before we rush to
judgement.

I think the key is that the Celtics needed to field an exciting
winning team clearly on the upswing, in order to attract any free
agents. For Pitino to do that he needed many bodies for his style
of play. His other hope is that he can build trade value with his
new acquisitions.

My guess is we'll see that the idea of a losing team sacrificing a
season to build cap room (Denver, for instance) is not going to work
next offseason because no premier free agent is going to sign with
them. And that is likely the situation we would have been faced with
if we had "saved" our cap room. But again, we'll see how the trades
turn out.

Alex