RE: All star coaches

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Belanger,Roger wrote:

> year (how many of us can say that). It would take a little more than a
> spoiled 3 day weekend for me to have any pity for these wealthy
> individuals, that includes my favorite player of all time L. B. Thanks
> for listening and the opportunity to respond.

but should we blast him as "arrogant" for being honest and saying he won't
jump up and down with joy because his team is in first at the mid-season
break?  Remember, coaches aren't selected, they get it based on their
teams record, and this isn't a guy that would put winning the conference
at mid-season in the same category as winning the championship, or even
winning the conference at season's end.  I just fail to see where coaching
the all-star game is such a great fit to the myriad of personalities even
in the coaching ranks of the NBA, that it would be wrong if not all the
coaches were dying to be the all-star coach.  Some might, some might not.
Where's the harm???  And more importantly, what position are we in to
judge???  I don't even recall Bird saying he would hate to coach the
all-star game.  This appears more like people mad at someone because they
don't appreciate the opportunity they have that we'll never have.  Should
we blast Bill Gates for not ooing and awing over a new Porshe, just
because we can't afford to buy one???  Maybe it's our values that are
warped, not those wealthy individuals.  Money and fame don't buy
happiness, nor should they force people to abandon it...

But, YOMV.

later,

-Jamey