RE: Sportsline report

Alex unfortunately you are probably right.  If we don't give it to him
there will be others drooling to.  Tonight though was one of the nights
where he showed he was worth the money.  The dunk on Garnett in the forth
was great.

On Wednesday, January 21, 1998 7:42 AM, Alex Wang [SMTP:awang@MIT.EDU]
wrote:
> Unfortunately Walker or Garnett may very well not be worth it, but
> for franchises like Minnesota or Boston (at this point) there's
> really no other option. If Minnesota hadn't signed Garnett, they
> would have likely lost Marbury (they may still) which would put
> them in about the same situation as Denver. Even if they had cap
> room, they're not going to be able to attract a dominant star.
>
> For Boston, if they don't sign Walker, they are not going to be
> able to trade him for a dominant star. (Why would a team trade
> their dominant star for our "inconsistent" one?) If he holds out,
> most likely we will try to trade him for draft picks and cap space.
> Unfortunately Boston will look essentially like Denver or the Clippers.
> >
> > Neither Walker nor Garnett have shown they are worth that kind of
money.
> >  They are just too inconsistent.  One night they look awesome, the next
4
> > they can't throw a brick in the ocean.  When you commit this kind of
money
> > it better be a dominant bonified star or you could burden the franchise
for
> > years to come, and not allow you to build a successful team.
> >
> > Will Minnesota be able to keep Marbury & Gugliotta there for the long
term
> > and be profitable ?  Portland spent a bunch on Wallace & Grant but I
don't
> > think they are really that closer to contending, but they do have a
good
> > young nucleus and Alvin Williams performing very well, but I don't see
them
> > going deep in the playoffs.
> >

> > Anyone know if the Lakers are limited on what they can offer Kobe
Bryant ?