Re: [Fwd: Delk at PG?]

>Everyone seems to like and appreciate the play of Ron Mercer.  Last year
>at Kentucky when Derek Anderson and Ron Mercer were seniors,
>Anderson was just a little bit better at doing most things than was Mercer.
>Don't get me wrong, Ron Mercer played great, especially after Anderson
>fell and injured his leg.  Up to that point in the season, Derek Anderson
>was the go to guy, and the team's leader.  Ron Mercer was playing
>good but just not quite as good as Anderson.  They would both score
>about the same amount of points, have about the same number of
>rebounds and assists, but Anderson always just seemed to do something
>that was just a little bit better than what Mercer did.  When Anderson
>fell and hurt his leg, everyone at Kentucky thought the season was over
>and that Kentucky had absolutely no chance to advance in the NCAA
>Tournament.  That's when Ron Mercer stepped up his game, really
>excelled, and helped take Kentucky all the way to the NCAA final
>game, losing in overtime to Arizona.
>    I know Derek Anderson was a draft risk because of his injury,
>but he seems to be healed and healthy.  I saw him in limited action
>against the Lakers last week end and he did a good job both
>offensively and defensively.  He is the type of player who could
>learn to play the point quickly and could get things done.

Seems to me, nobody could have known better about the injury risk and the
relative merits of both Mercer and Anderson, than our own Rick Pitino.
And, we wouldn't have had to get him instead of Billups.  I think Anderson
was drafted much later.  If we were to take him instead of Billups, we
could have traded our 3rd pick for multiple first round picks and used one
to take him.  I still think we should give Billups time, though.

Matt