Misc. reactions

Re: McHale and Bird: The Herald reported that they were drinking a beer
quietly in the corner after the game. I guess that makes them drinking
buddies! Just not close friends.

Re: the ESPN article: Someone wrote:

>Then I concluded that we are talking about one of the most
>respected sports news reporting agencies in the world, and it wouldn't seem
>likely they would allow blatant untruths to be reported without some
>foundation.

My cousin works for ESPN magazine. It's a tiny little division of Disney
and he hates that influence. The magazine just started and my younger
cousin is an associate editor. I like him a lot and he's very smart, but I
am not convinced that this is "one of the world's most respected sports
reporting agencies." Let's not get it mixed up with the ESPN on
tv....separate entity...separate location even (CT vs Manhattan). They have
been working on this answer to SI for over two years and this is one of the
first, if not the first, magazine published.

Re Chief: I expected to see a lot of reaction regarding Chief's number
being retired, but I guess we all got sidetracked by Dan's emotional
outburst about Larry Bird. Tourette's is a terrible disease and we should
be patient and caring with those so afflicted : )

Anyway, local talk radio was all abuzz about Chief and his off-court
activities. Dan Shaughnessy wrote an article in Sunday's Globe that many
saw as mean and uncalled for considering the day, but others saw as
straightforward and honest. One of the other local tv reporters called
Parish a walking scumbag. Jackie McMullen chimed in with her assesment of
Parish as a person and well, let's just say she wasn't shy. People are even
saying that the Celtics timed this retirement party to coincide with
Larry's return so that the spotlight would not be on Chief and his
off-court activities. Sounds cynical to me, but marketing types do think of
these things.

Re: the list: This list has grown as the Celtics have become better. It
used to be a quaint collection of die-hards (yes, we followed them to their
depths), much the same feeling as a small town...a place where you knew
almost everyone by name and people were polite. Now the list is more like
(and this is good for those of you who don't live around here) living in
Boston. People are opinionated, loud, rude, a little nutty at times,
impersonal and passionate about their sports. For those of us who used to
live in the small town, well, I know that we all miss the good old days.
But this is the city now and with it comes some nutty neighbors. After some
unpleasant posts with people whom I  probably would never approach across a
crowded room for a conversation, I have decided to ignore the nutty
neighbors and pretend I live in the small town again. Now, back to those
bad boys from Beantown.....

TJL

tjoyce@mit.edu