RE: Antoine

Pitino on the A.W. Contract issue

Rick Pitino said Wednesday he doesn't think it will necessarily take a
market-value contract to get Antoine Walker to remain with the Celtics.

"We're going to sign him to a new contract is what we're going to do,"
Pitino said of Walker, whom the club can sign to an extension this summer
and who can be an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 1999.

"We feel very confident that we will re-sign Antoine Walker. He wants to be
a Boston Celtic, and we want him to remain a Boston Celtic and captain. So
we feel -- all of us from the owner on down -- very positive about signing
Antoine Walker."

When the issue of market rate (Kevin Garnett got some $120 million for a
six-year extension this past summer) was discussed, Pitino talked about
sense more than dollars.

"We're going to make him an opportunity where he won't have to worry about
money," the coach and president said. "That's something you're looking for.
You're looking for financial security and happiness, and he'll accomplish
both things."

Players, however, are known for keeping score by how their deal ranks with
others at their skill level.

"Well, we're not going to get into that game at all," Pitino said. "Antoine
Walker here is the focal part of our offense. He's the focal part of our
basketball team, and certainly to me that's much more important. When you
get to a certain point on how much you make and keeping score that way, I'd
rather keep score on the court than off the court."

On Sunday, January 18, 1998 5:39 PM, Nault [SMTP:rnault@ptialaska.net]
wrote:
> Dave Wrote:
>
> >Boston forward Antoine Walker's 49 points on Washinton last week
confirmed
> >his satatus as a conveted talent.  Chicago might be the Celtics' biggest
> >challenger to Walker, The player many GM's consider .... THE FUTURE.
>
> Please don't let the Bulls get Antoine Walker!  I would hate to see
Antoine