   [Site Index.......] ______________
   [ISMAP]-SPORTS

   Do your banking online with Bank of America's HomeBanking service!

                                               Saturday, January 17, 1998

   Stringing Them Along
   Clippers Still Trying to Find Method to Fitch's Substitution Madness
   By CHRIS BAKER, Times Staff Writer

   PREV STORY

   NEXT STORY
   C lipper Coach Bill Fitch's rotation of players is enough to make you
   dizzy.
        With six guards, four forwards and two centers on his 12-man
   roster, Fitch sometimes seems to shuttle players into games on a whim.

        "I don't think there's any pattern to his substitution pattern,"
   the agent for one former Clipper said.
        With forward Loy Vaught, last season's leading scorer and
   rebounder, out because of a back injury, Fitch has used 10 different
   starting lineups in the first 39 games.
        "Granted, they all get mad at the coach, but the teams that have
   won got mad at me," Fitch said. "As a coach, you've always got to tell
   guys 'no' and mean it.
        "These days there are very few guys that can tell guys 'no.' How
   many guys could tell [Michael] Jordan no? This is a high-pressure job.
   It's something you don't go through a lot of years without having a
   lot [complaints]."
        All but three players--rookie Maurice Taylor and guards James
   Robinson and James Collins--have started at least one game as Fitch
   has tried to get the team to be consistent.
        Not surprisingly, there have been complaints.
        Rookie center Keith Closs complained last month that Fitch was
   playing mind games with him when he was held out for the final three
   quarters at Seattle after starting for the first time in his NBA
   career. But Closs has mellowed.
        "I think he experiments to see what he can do," Closs said.
   "Sometimes he'll put in a power squad, a scoring squad or his runners.

        "You don't know what's going to happen, so you can't worry about
   it. You have to think about what you're going to do when he calls you
   to go in."
        Fans began calling for Fitch to insert Closs in the third quarter
   of a 110-102 victory over the Vancouver Grizzlies earlier this month
   at the Sports Arena after he had made all six shots and scored 12
   points in the second quarter.
        But Fitch kept Stojko Vrankovic in the game after the Grizzlies
   had cut a 14-point third-quarter lead to two points, explaining later
   that Closs would have been overmatched against Grizzly center Bryant
   Reeves.
        Fitch, who signed a $2-million, two-year contract extension after
   leading the Clippers to their first playoff berth in four seasons, has
   a free rein.
        "I guess what you have to do is put these guys in roles they
   don't like because then they play them pretty well," Fitch said. "With
   six guards, you're not going to be able to make everybody happy.
        "Everything depends on how you match up against other teams.
   Sometimes you go on hunches, but a lot depends on the situation."
        Guard Pooh Richardson, held out of a game last season after he
   complained that he was being misused by Fitch, begrudgingly accepts
   it.
        "When he asks you to play, you try to do whatever you can,"
   Richardson said. "It's tough, it's tough.
        "You can't make nothing out of it. Honestly, it's flat-out hard
   to be ready to play. . . . Because you don't know [how much you're
   going to play], you really don't know what to prepare yourself for. .
   . .
        "It's hard to be productive. You can't do nothing. You can go out
   and be a mediocre player until you're somewhere you can get some
   consistent minutes, then you can probably play well.
        "I don't think you have anybody on our team that's consistent
   that doesn't play. It's hard.
        "I've never had a coach like this, never in my life. You just go
   out and try to do the best you can and try to do whatever is asked of
   you and play hard. Hopefully, you can have a good couple of minutes,
   if there is such a thing.
        "I think it happens to everyone, not just me."
        Richardson began last season as a starter, was replaced by
   Darrick Martin a month into the season and finished averaging a
   career-worst 5.6 points.
        Robinson, who signed a $10.5-million, five-year free-agent
   contract with the Clippers last summer, has also had trouble adjusting
   to Fitch's rotation.
        Robinson averaged 8.3 points and 1.3 assists with the Minnesota
   Timberwolves last season but has shot a career-worst 31.3% and
   averaged a career-worst 4.7 points this season.
        "It's difficult, but it will work out," he said. "Everybody can
   play. When your turn comes, you've got to be ready to play. . . ."
        Forward Rodney Rogers, who was removed from the starting lineup
   last February after he got into an argument with Fitch during an
   off-day practice in Milwaukee, said he doesn't care how many minutes
   he plays.
        "I don't let it bother me," he said. "He's the one that has got
   to make the decision. He's the one that's got to live by it."
        Forward Lamond Murray, suspended for a game two years ago for
   ripping Fitch, agreed.
        "You've just got to stay focused," Murray said. "We don't know
   the rotation sometimes. Sometimes you can predict the rotation if
   you're a veteran player.
        "But you've just got to be prepared and do the best that you can
   when you get out there. If you do well, you'll get more minutes."
        Not everyone is unhappy.
        Swingman Eric Piatkowski said flexibility is the key to playing
   for Fitch.
        "You've just got to understand that that's the way things are
   here," he said. "I don't know how I could be discontented. I'm playing
   a heck of a lot more than I have in my four years, so I'm like a pig
   in his trough."
        Fitch hasn't changed his methods. He guided the Boston Celtics to
   the 1981 NBA title, and forward Cedric Maxwell said Fitch kept the
   Celtics guessing.
        "He was really demanding," said Maxwell, now a broadcaster for
   the Celtics.
        And he still is.

   Search the archives of the Los Angeles Times for similar stories. You
   will not be charged to look for stories, only to retrieve one.

   Copyright Los Angeles Times
   PREV STORY

   NEXT STORY

   [Sports Section....] ______________