Joe Smith

I recall that Joe Smith had explicitly said that he doesn't
want to play in Boston. I would wonder about this sort of deal
unless his agent has already agreed (under the table) to sign
a new contract for a pre-agreed amount of money. That seems unlikely
because Smith probably would do just as well to take bids from all
the teams during the summer, unless we are prepared to pay him an out
of the ballpark figure. My guess is that GS is offering us that deal
and we are not biting. I imagine similar difficulties with a
McDyess trade.

With that said, Mercer and Billups for Smith and Delk is a possibility,
with Golden State probably also eating Brown and Barros' salaries with
the cap space they got from cutting Sprewell. Cap relief would have to
be a factor because we'd have given up almost all trade value and
still no center.

Alex