By the way...

...did anyone see the Celtics game last night...?

I hate to steer the topic back from the WNBA/women's sports debate, but
they WON!

And I must say, any conversation about Billups, pro or con, is JUSTIFIED!
That boy's gonna make me go even more gray than I already am!

First three quarters:  Very bad...  yanked for Barros early on and when he
comes back, not much better.  He's either dribbling endlessly, or getting
swallowed by Big Country, though he is rebounding well.

Fourth quarter:  Hello!  This must be why he was drafted 3d overall.  Big
shots, sweet drive-and-dishes.  Should've had a few more assists since all
his pass-receivers kept going to the line.  Finally, in crunch time, having
shot 4-15 on the night, he gives Daniels a 3-point, back-breaking facial.
Game over, man!

In sum, he is maddening.  Most of the game he'll just be pathetic, and
you'll go "why oh why couldn't we have gotten at least Van HORN!????  How
could the _third pick_ be so BAD?  Trade him right on outta here!"  Then
he'll unleash a string of truly _clutch_ plays and you sit back, your mouth
a little slack, unable to reconcile the differences.  I wonder if it's just
a maturity thing.  I wonder if Billups, who I concede does have a mountain
of potential, will ever show more than just tantalizing flashes.  If he
ever does the team will probably follow suit, because, aside from Walker,
the team follows Billups' rhythms, and Billups' rhythms vary wildly,
sometimes from play to play.  Same goes for the team.

Other notes:

Go John Thomas!  He may be the best defensive center we have.  At 6'8"
that's not saying much, but he's got bulk, agility and appears to have a
really good nose for the game.

Go Greg Minor!  He came in and gave the team a real spark as well.
Maligned as he is for his off-the-court problems, he has shown me, in
limited minutes, some real tools, both defensive and offensive.

O Bruce Bowen.   0-8.  Doh!

Savor that victory while you can, Celts fans.  It may be the last one for a
while.  Check out the schedule for next 2 weeks, starting Sunday.

Sunday:  	Indiana
Monday:  	At New York
Wednesday:  	At Minnesota
Friday:	  	At Atlanta
Saturday: 	At Indiana
Monday:	  	New York
Wednesday: 	Washington
Friday:    	Charlotte
Sunday:		Houston
Tuesday:	At Charlotte

Ten games in 16 days.  2 back to backs.  5 away games, mostly condensed
into a 4 games in 6 days road trip.  1 team with a losing record, that
being Washington.  Gee what a relief.

These boys continue to surprise me, and may do so again.  But combined with
the set of games they just completed, this is the toughest section of the
schedule with very little practice time.  Even the 8 game February road
trip doesn't look this bad, as on that trip you have games against Denver,
Sacramento, LA Clippers, Golden State and Vancouver.

Have a great weekend, and if in NE, stay at home.  It's nasty out there!

Chris