Re: WNBA in Boston

> I don't think that it is right that women's
>basketball (the WNBA in particular) should be crammed down my throat just
>because the NBA owns the WNBA.

This (like many posts on mailing lists) really typifies to me a truly
problematic attitude of the 90's.  If something is just out there which you
might possibly encounter, it is being "crammed down your throat".  Why
should you have to go through all the trouble of looking the other way, or
in this case, finding another channel to watch?  Its like somebody is going
to bind you to a chair in front of your TV and make you watch this.  This
is why we see so many people up in arms about somebody praying in public or
something.  They feel like even the opportunity to encounter something they
don't like infringes on their personal freedom.

>   Don't get me wrong, I believe that women deserve a forum to display
>their talents and cater to their fans just as much as the men, but that
>does not mean that I have to watch it, and I don't want to be forced to
>watch it during a men's event.

Forced to watch it?  See above.

I know there are a lot of people who agree
>with me, whether WNBA/ABL backers like it or not. In my opinion, the
>women's game is slower, less athletic, sloppier, and generally less
>exciting. It is similar to watching a high school JV basketball game, and
>no one is rushing to get them on All-Star weekend.

It does seem like a paradox of sorts, doesn't it?  Maybe you should rethink
it then.  Answer:  WNBA or ABL is WORLDS above JV boys basketball.  I see a
reasonable amount of high school basketball, as well as college women's
basketball a few years ago when I was at Virginia.  It is a different game
than men's basketball, but you can't even reasonably compare it with boy's
high school ball.

I will probably get
>ripped to shreds because of this, but I do not care. It is my opinion.

Well, it is your opinion, and that is fine.  It makes no sense to me, but
apparently, a lot of people don't agree with your opinion, because there is
a market for the game.

>If I have a daughter one day, I would encourage her and support her in
>sports the same way I would a son. I would go to every one of her games,
>but that doesn't mean I would have to like it.

Really, where are you getting this "have to like it", "forced to watch it"
paranoia?  I'm sure your daughter will be pleased to see Daddy snoozing at
the top of the stands ;-).

Matt