Billups & Walker

Well, I just about recovered from all the criticism of Antoine when I read this
about Chauncey Billups. " He has trouble dribbling, passing and seeing the
court, plus his shooting is awful."
I wonder if these comments are based on watching the games or if they come from
looking at a box score.  Chauncey is having trouble seeing the court.  I think
that is to be expected.  His dribbling is, however, superb and his shot is the
sweetest on the team.  He has excellent range on his jumper, looking very
comfortable out beyond the arc.  And his shot, including free throws, stays
composed at critical times of the game.  His turnovers and poor shooting
percentage come entirely from the seeing the court.  He gets in trouble on
penetration and either throws up a prayer or turns it over.  More respected
veterans in the league would draw a foul in that situation.  He will learn.
He is not a shooting guard trying to become a point, in my opinion, he is a
point trying to make a very big adjustment in the level of his competition.  If
he can do it we will have a point with scoring ability.  And these are very
rare and dangerous.
Also, I finally see what Antoine and Dominique have in common.  Their first
names both sound French and they share about 60% of the letters of their last
names.  That's about it.  And whoever made the point that Dominique wasn't
responsible for Atlanta not winning could not have been more right.  A team's
best player will often get blamed for the team not winning, but it is up to the
other players to fill in around them and the organization to provide the
players that can help.  Walker needs plenty of help, and Pitino will get it
eventually.
I can't wait for Sunday to take a trip down memory lane.  Just when I thought
Larry had showed me everything it turns out he can coach!  Who would have
believed it?
Jim