Billups disappointment

Perhaps the reason Billups is so disappointing to many is
that the two players taken above him are so much better.
Pitino knew this before the draft and referred to getting
the 3rd pick (as opposed to 1st or 2nd) as the "worst case
scenario". Based on what we've seen of Duncan and Van Horn
so far, and the way the Celtics have been playing without
them, I would project the Celtics to have 45-50 wins with Van
Horn and 55 wins with Duncan.

To be fair Duncan and Van Horn are both more experienced
and Billups' potential has yet to be developed.

Regarding trades, it seems that Pitino is certainly willing
to trade his "dream backcourt" for a better frontcourt.
My guess is he offered at least 3rd and 6th for Philly's
2nd pick but got beat out by NJ. The trade with the Bulls
would have given us a Longley-Walker-Pippen front line (no,
the trade did not include Walker according to Pitino, and
I would believe him). The trade with Miami would have
give an Austin-Walker-Mashburn front line. And good frontline
players are generally more rare and valuable than good
backcourt players who can many times be drafted in the middle
to late first round. Big men who are still around at that point
are usually projects.

Alex