Re: Whither Chauncey?

You could be right, but I smell mediocrity here with Billups. He seems a
project at this point. He has trouble dribbling, passing and seeing the
court, plus his shooting is awful. If the Celts want to put 2-4 years in
dressing him up, that's too slow in my opinion. I believe we drafted
Billups because 1st, he may prove to be a good move or 2-he's very
tradable. He was cosmetically pumped up at the 3 spot in the draft. I'm a
terrible gambler, but I bet he's gone by the end of the year. Maybe he's in
the wrong position, the 2 spot may suit him better, because he has shown no
interest at being a point guard. I hope I'm wrong and didn't waste a pick
on him.
>Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:43:22 -0900 (AST)
>From: Cecil Wright <nocw1@nsh.library.ns.ca>
>Subject: Re: Whither Chauncey?
>
>Hey Bob,
>
>Welcome to the list!!
>
>Many will agree that I have been defending Billups from day one.  In fact
>I was elated when we drafted him.  I am still happy with his selection
>for a number of reasons which I have alluded to many times in the past on
>this list.
>
>There are a number of postees, however, who do not share my optimism on
>this young inexperienced guard based off of what they have seen over the
>duration of a relatively short professional career.  At this point in
>time, CB as many weaknesses at his position which the doubting-thomases
>will use as evidence that he can never become a true point guard.  I beg
>to differ, as I think that young players can be taught by great coaches,
>and I feel that Pitino falls into that category.
cut