Another opinion about Walker

I have to agree with those people who question whether the Celtics should break
the bank for Antoine Walker after this year.  The problem, as stated, is that
if you pay Garnett money to a player he had better be the next Michael Jordan
or you're not going to be winning a thing.  You also won't be able to trade
that huge contract until the end when other players are making even more.  So,
we have to get rid of Antoine, right?  NO.  I just think that teams (like the
Timberwolves) who give that kind of money to players based on their first two
years in the league are crazy.  Give them a shorter contract after the rookie
deal expires.  Then go and hand them the franchise after they have played for 6
years.  It's the veterans which dominate the league, and it has been for some
time.  Even Bird didn't get long term deals early on, and he WAS a sure thing.
MJ has been playing for 1 year deals.  This can be in the players interest too.
If they become what they expect, the sky is the limit.

I also can't believe some of the things being said about Antoine personally on
this list.  I don't see him as a selfish player at all.  True it would be
better if he gave up the ball on the break and took fewer threes, but I see
this as more to do with the team's general lack of offensive skill than any
selfishness on his part.  I think he has accepted the responsibility of being
The Man somewhat reluctantly.  He is not the kind of powerful offensive player
that can be the only offensive weapon on a team.  His moves are much more
finesse than power.  He looks a lot like Cedric Maxwell in the low post to me,
but Maxwell had a better knack of getting his shot off.  I think another
offensive threat will help Antoine's game (if not his numbers) immensely.  He
could also pass out of the double team more.

Finally, Antoine can pass and rebound as well as score.  He plays defense.  He
isn't the kind of player who dunks over double teams.  So can we all agree
never, ever to compare him to Dominique Wilkins again, ever, please.

Jim