Re: Walker

>Which of Walker's accomplishments suggests that he values winning games
>over personal stats?  Which of his accomplishments suggest that he is
>willing to work to improve his *style* of play (not just his level of
>play)?  What evidence is there to believe he will be as committed to
>winning once he signs his $20 million per year megacontract?
>
>Michael Byrnes
>mbyrnes@stanford.edu

 I thought some of the criticism of Walker after his 49 point game was
interesting. He goes, what 21-36, scores 12 during a 14 point run in the
fourth to get the team close, (He led the team in rebounds also, yes?) and
then gets criticized by some on this list for losing the game because of
poor foul shooting?!? Billups went 1-10 that night. Maybe if he went 3-10
the Celtics would've won. Is going 3-10 asking too much? Billups also went
1-10, if I'm not mistaken, the next night. I don't mean to get down on
Billups because I think he'll improve, but my point is that Walker has
proven his commitment to winning by dragging an assortment of mediocre ball
players into a bunch of wins they'd otherwise have no business getting. I
have to admit that the Camby trade seems a bit... farfetched, but it falls
in line with some of the criticism Walker has been getting. Camby and Raef
Lafrentz or Jamison without Walker makes this team the Denver Nuggets. But
you're right. It's a crap shoot. Listen...would you have traded MJ after
his first couple of years? Would you have given him a ton of money? How
about his commitment to wins over stats? And please, before you say "ball
hog," five out of seven aint bad. I would gladly have accepted those stats
and that ball hogging if those five banners had been green. He needed some
help too.

Paul M.