Re: Walker

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Cecil Wright wrote:

> > I also think that there are other potential options in the trade market.
> > One idea that intrigues me is a trade of Walker + C's number one pick to
> > Toronto for Marcus Camby + Raptors' number one pick.  (Perhaps other
> > players would have to be thrown in as well, and the C's would only swap
> > picks if the Raptors' pick is better.)
>
> Perhaps???  I think the Raptors would certainly be interested in trading
> an oft-injured player for a blossoming star in a second.  But the
> C's would be the laughing stock of the NBA for such a deal.

The point of this deal would obviously not be to exchange Walker for Camby
as though the two are equal in ability.  Rather, it would be to trade a
player who we are not going to sign (Walker) for a player (Camby) who will
cost less and fill a huge defensive hole on the current team, *AND* get
another top draft pick, which could become Raef LaFrentz, Antawn
Jamison, etc.

> You gotta explain how Camby has more athleticism than W
> I think AW has more range to his shot, is as good a rebounder, is tougher,
> has a much better handle and plays as good defensively.  You must be
> recalling Camby's glory days at UMASS.

One thing Walker can't do is guard an NBA center.  Another thing he can't
do is be the shotblocker who can prevent easy layups when the press breaks
down.  Camby has the mobility and height to be the center in Rick Pitino's
system.

> Here are their present numbers: Guess who's who.
>
> 32.7mpg, .386fg%, .000 3pt%, .743ft%,  5.7rpg, 2apg,   30stl, 74bl, 11.6ppg
> 39.8mpg, .420fg%, .303 3pt%, .613ft%, 10.5rpg, 3.5apg, 72stl, 26bl, 22.9ppg
>
> Plus Walker is 2 years younger than Camby.  I just don't understand what
> some fans want from these players.  Walker gives an honest effort every
> night.  He doesn't ever beg out of the lineup and is shaping up to be one
> of the premier and most versatile players in the NBA at the age of 21 and
> you're thinking that we should entertain trade offers for him.  What do
> you think Arnold Auerbach would say to a deal like that???

If Arnold Auerbach were convinced that Walker could be the leader of a new
Celtic dynasty, then he would obviously never consider such a deal.  On
the other hand, if he thought that Walker was a future star in the mold of
a Dominique Wilkins, he wouldn't hesitate to trade Walker when he is most
marketable.

Which of Walker's accomplishments suggests that he values winning games
over personal stats?  Which of his accomplishments suggest that he is
willing to work to improve his *style* of play (not just his level of
play)?  What evidence is there to believe he will be as committed to
winning once he signs his $20 million per year megacontract?

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu