Re: Walker

Fung Yee Danny Lim wrote:

> Michael, I agree with much of what you wrote. It is good to see that you
> are not entirely partial in your appraisal. The problem is, short of
> resigning him, there really aren't that many attractive options left out
> there. As I wrote before, there aren't many even value trades to be made
> out there, especially considering the fact that the team that gets him
> faces the problem of resigning him too. I am of the opinion though, that
> he has shown the talent and ability to do what is required of a franchise
> player and were we to sign him for a long term contract, it would pay off
> as he improves.

I am not as yet convinced that Walker can be the kind of franchise player
that the Celtics need.  If they re-sign him, then he MUST be up to the
task of being the Celtics central player for the next 7 years, or the
Celtics will not be able to win anything even if they do get him a good
supporting cast.

I also think that there are other potential options in the trade market.
One idea that intrigues me is a trade of Walker + C's number one pick to
Toronto for Marcus Camby + Raptors' number one pick.  (Perhaps other
players would have to be thrown in as well, and the C's would only swap
picks if the Raptors' pick is better.)

Marcus Camby is not, and never will be, the offensive player that Antoine
Walker has already become.  However, he has more height and athleticism,
and he would be the ideal shot-blocking center for Pitino 's defense.  In
addition, the Celtics would be assured of one of the top picks in the 1998
draft, and they could use that pick to make up some of the offense that
they would lose with Walker.

I am not saying that the Celtics *should* attempt this kind of deal; only
that it is something they could consider if they can't (or won't) meet
Walker's asking price.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu