Re: FW: Thoughts

> From Jlyell@concentric.net Thu Jan  8 21:29:14 1998
>
> Other than Stewart (who chances are probably slim Sacramento would let him
> go unless they are limited to offering him $2.5M and he gets a ridiculous
> offer) I don't know if anyone really gives us the defensive enforcer we
> need.

The Kings will be under the salary cap next year so are not limited by the 2.5M
limitation. I like both McDyess & Joe Smith, but we can't sign them as free
agents, hence have to obtain either one  via trade. We don't need a defensive
enforcer in the classical sense..our need is more specific i.e. rebounding, shot
blocking and scoring. Joe is a better rebounder and scorer than McDyess while
McDyess is the better shot blocker and more physical player, both are very quick
 and durable so fit the Pitino mould.

> Austin is a possibility but at what cost ?  McDyess is another
> possibility if Phoenix chooses to make a move for Austin, although not a
> true center he is a good rebounder & shot blocker, but would probably want
> Garnett $$$.  Maybe Denver will resign him, they suck !

I don't think anybody in their right mind will play Garnett like dollars to
McDyess or Smith. McDyess is trying to mend his fences with the Denver
management who offered him a 7 year 80 mill contract during the summer which he
rejected..so definitely the suns are unwilling to part with that kind of money.
Regarding Smith, right now the only team interested in keeping him is Golden
State but he wants to play on the east coast..so the Warriors may be interested
in fielding offers for him.

> Maybe a Jelani McCoy might work ?

I am not too high on Jelani McCoy because if he is good he would be picked by
the time Celtics turn comes to draft.

> Polynice is actually a pretty athletic player but he has a poor attitude
> and I don't know if he could handle Rick's style.

Polynice is an intriguing player and might work out, after all Pitino has a way
of pushing the right buttons.

> Divac, Smits, Longley, Spencer, Willis, Closs, Austin, Lang, Roberts,
> Dudley, Sabonis, Hotrod Williams, Stewart, Polynice, Perkins, Muresan are
> the top centers that are free agents at the end of the season.
> Warwick

I like Smits but he will be signed to a huge contract by the pacers. Divac is
good but then Charlotte is in much better position to make him an offer.
                                  - Mishra