Centers vs PGs and the Future

As much as it kills me to watch San Antonio play (DAMN those ping-pong
balls, or that random number generator, or however they're conducting
that bloody lottery these days), I have just about achieved closure and
can now think about the future of the Celtics' frontcourt without (sob!)
the best center to come out of college since Olajuwon.

Pretending for the moment that Tim Duncan does not exist, it seems to me
that there is a bright side.  Like Cecil, I like Chauncey a lot.  I
think he already is a fine guard (for a rookie) and can develop into a
fine point guard.  Last year Pitino and Wallace made a deliberate
decision to solidify the backcourt and I think the C's have done that
for the next decade.  Without question, the Achilles heel remains the
interior D (assuming that we can't count on Pervis performing regularly
as he did against Milwaukee -- after all, why should this season be any
different from the preceding 8?).

Look at what's available in next year's draft.  I count one first round
quality pure point guard (if he comes out):  Mike Bibby.  He's probably
a top 5 pick.  On the other hand, there are numerous decent to good big
men, at least some of whom will be around when the C's pick (at 15?).
Keon Clark, Michael Doleac, Tim Young, JR Henderson, Brian Skinner, Evan
Eschmeyer, Michael Olowokandi, Brad Miller, Alexander Koul, Tractor
Traylor, Maceo Baston, "Big Continent" Millard, Loren Woods, Jeelani
McCoy, Jahidi White -- hey, that's 15 guys right there.  I'm just
pulling names off the ESPN draft projections; I'm unfamiliar with some
of these guys and am curious if anyone out there has strong opinions on
any or all of them as potential Celtic first round picks.

My point in all this is that the Celtics shouldn't look to make a
roster-decimating trade (Billups and Mercer for Mashburn and Austin?
PUH-LEEZE!) or blow their cap on an Isaac Austin (whom we probably can't
afford) or Michael Stewart (who is a limited player -- I think
everyone's so smitten with him because he's achieved so far beyond
expectations).  The inside force we need may be only a draft pick away.
 In the meantime, the C's trade philosophy should be as follows:

WALKER:  NFW, unless the Spurs decide to part with Duncan.
MERCER:  No.
BILLUPS:  No.

McCARTY:  Not unless there's a can't miss blockbuster (which does not
mean Isaac Austin.
BOWEN:  Ditto (too integral to the press).

KNIGHT:  Only if we get a better big man back, which is unlikely.
ELLISON/ROGERS:  Ditto.  Yes, I'm inclined to keep Pervis -- there's no
way we get value, he's not getting paid THAT much, and although the
stats don't show it, he's actually won us a few games.  Our only real
interior defenders.
BARROS:  A tough call -- on one hand, there's THE CONTRACT; on the other
hand, his defense seems to have improved and he's our only real threat
from 3 point territory.  I'd like to see him stay for this year and
possibly next, until Chauncey is ready to start playing 35-40 minutes a
game.

DECLERQ/THOMAS:  Young big guys, but not much more than that.  I don't
know that it matters if they stay or not, unless Pervis/Travis/Roy are
all out.

EDNEY:  Gone after this season anyway, so who cares?  No trade value to
speak of.

JONES:  Ditto, except for the extra year on his contract.  Maybe a full
summer with Pitino might change my mind, but does he have the work
ethic?  Even if he does, does Dontae' have a place to play in Boston?
And what's with that friggin' apostrophe?

BROWN/MINOR:  If only we could convince Ted Stepien to buy his way back
into the NBA and take these guys in exchange for 2 first round picks....

I suppose the bottom line is that there is no market for the guys we
should really be looking to trade.  I see no point in picking up a
McDyess or a Smith, since we're set at forward -- and can Gaston really
afford 2 nine figure contracts this summmer?  I see no point in picking
up an Austin or a Stewart, since neither is a championship center.  Luc
Longley is a more intriguing prospect, if the price is right.  But I
still say let's stand pat and build through the draft.  Let the core
players all grow up together.

One more thing.  Is anyone else worried that Walker's playing too many
minutes?  I realize Wilt averaged 48 minutes a game one season (not to
mention 50 points and 29 rebounds), but especially since AW is
frequently going up against bigger, heavier guys, I'd like to see him
protected just a bit more.

Michael Gooen