Re: Celtic Historians?

Bill Cooper wrote:
>         In one of the posts discussing the Celtics broadcast team,
> someone observed (correctly, I think) that Bob Cousy is often
> dismissive of Tommy Heinsohn's opinions.  This may be a holdover from
> the days when Couz was one of the brightest stars in the league and
> Heinsohn a  rookie, but something else occurred to me.   1969, which
> was Russell's last year as player-coach, was also, obviously, Tommy's
> first as coach of the post-Russell C's.  It also was the year that
> Cousy took the Cincinnati Royals coaching job.  Does anyone know the
> chronological order in which these events occurred?  I'm wondering if
> Cousy, perhaps, thought that he might have had a chance at coaching
> the Celts, and might have even turned down coaching offers in
> anticipation of Russell's retirement (after all, if you count the ABA,
> there must have been 15 new teams started in the late 60's: I'm sure
> Cousy could have gotten a job).  Could there have been a little
> resentment over the choice?

I doubt that Cousy would hold a grudge that long, but according to his
own book, "The Killer Instinct" (1975), Cooz asked Auerbach's advice
after receiving an offer to coach Cincinnati:

	"Why don't you wait?" he [Red] asked. "Russell is thinking of
	quitting. And if he does, you can probably have the Celtic job."

	The trouble was, I had a $100,000-a-year contract in my
	pocket...and an immediate decision was necessary.  I said thanks
	to Arnold and went back to trying to make up my mind.

Cousy didn't name the date of that conversation, but the Celts' media
guide says Heinsohn was hired to coach on 9/15/69.

Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI

Are you connected with women's college volleyball? Visit
this site for a look at a talented potential recruit:
	http://www.netcom.com/~mdynon/Diane1.html