Re: Cousy is better than Tommy H.

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Michael Zaino wrote:

> I don't know if Cousy said this, or if I was just
> thinking it at the time, but if the C's had a point guard like Jason
> Kidd, they would definitely be a playoff team.

And is Kidd going to box out the opposing frontline too?  The C's got
killed on the boards against Phoenix, losing that battle by 10, many of
which were offensive.  This team has weaknesses in more than one area,
and the addition of a player of Kidd's caliber would be fantastic.  But
even that wouldn't guarantee the playoffs.  He is very prone to injury
thus far in his career.

> Perhaps everyone is mad at Cousy because he is pointing out a weakness
> that Chauncey, the third pick, should be able to fill. The fact is,
> Chauncey doesn't seem to fit this system real well. He will probably
> adjust, and he definitely has talent, but it might have been the wrong
> pick. Maybe this potential 'mistake' is very subtly bothering people and
> Cousy is aggravating the issue.

I can only speak for myself, but Cousy is not normally bothersome to me
because I tune him out.  What irked me was the intentional snub of Johnny
Most.  Excuse me for not allowing my sense of humor to take over on that
crack.  I didn't find it funny at all.  In fact, I think that Heinsohn
was uncomfortable with Cousy's response too since he didn't even touch it.
This has nothing to do with the selection of Billups.

Cecil