Re: Silly Twon Thread

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 JOzersky@aol.com wrote:

> I think this frustrated thread has about had it.

Are you kidding?  I'll take a month's worth of Antoine debate over a day's
worth of trade discussion any day.

>  Now, obviously, Antoine will never reach the Bird-like heights we all hope
> for if he hogs the ball on breaks and misses easy post-ups.

I don't expect "Bird-like heights" at all.  Bird won games from the moment
he stepped on the floor until the moment he stepped off.  He turned around
a franchise that had made no significant personnel changes other than
himself, going from 29-53 to 60-22.  Antoine shone in his rookie season to
lead the Celtics to a worst-ever 15-67.  Bleah.  I'm sure he'll be a great
player, but he ain't no Bird.

> Three rules about Antoine
> 1.  He has to be signed at any price, and kept in Boston as an untouchable
> foundation, a true franchise player.

Nah.  He isn't *that* good.  It would hurt if he was lost to free agency,
but with a savy trade he could bring in players that would lead to a
championship.

> 2.  He has to be forgiven oncourt sins which would bench other players, both
> for the present need to stay competitive in the game, and the future's need
> to develop the true "next Larry Bird."

See above.

> 3.  We have to bear in mind, as Rick does, that Antoine is completely,
> obsessively committed to being a winner and a better player.  He truly wants
> to be a leader, which few players do  (see Danny Manning, Penny Hardaway,
> Grant Hill.)  His occasional remarks, such as his argument that he deserves
> ROY honors, are if anything far more modest than the kind of stuff Bird used
> to say, and are part of the rituals of respect that comprise the secret
> substance of the player's fraternity.

I admire Antoine's desire to be the man.  Everyone in the league wants to
be *paid* like the man but so few seem willing to step up and accept the
role on the court.

On the other hand, I think Antoine's needs some direction in his desire to
become a better player.  He's focused *way* too much on his stats.  His
lust for personal accomplishments seems to be slightly higher than his
desire for team success.

> In other words, stop riding Antoine!  He's not some nerd sitting in front of
> a computer splitting hairs, but the man who night in and night out is
> fighting for our future.

Oh, Antoine!  You're so noble!

Dan