Re: MERCER

At 09:06 PM 2/26/98 -0500, Dorine wrote:
>I've heard his team mates say that Mercer is a very special player.  I
>think we're only now beginning to see just how special he is because
>there's a real point guard running the break and he's getting the ball
>in the open court.

Absolutely. Also, with Anderson initiating better overall distribution, he's
simply going to see more of the ball than when all the offense was running
through Walker.  On the Cs ng I suggested that they should revive the
nickname 'Silk' for him because he is just SO smooth, but someone else
suggested a better one -'the assasin'. Quiet and deadly. At the same time,
it's funny: when you look at the differences in their games and
personalities between him and Walker -which has had the more memorable
THUNDEOUS dunks (especially on put-backs)? Mercer. Go figure...

>  He was outstanding last night, no doubt about it.
>I'm also very impressed with him as a person.  His head is on straight.
>No showmanship for him.  He's all business on the floor.  A real Celtic
>type player, IMO.

With all the talk about making allowances for Walker, Billups, whomever
because they're so young, you look at Mercer and just shake your head at the
allowances that DON'T have to be made, even though he came out early too.
How many kids come out of college these days with that kind of mature
understanding of old fashioned fundamentals like running off picks, the
importance of the trailer and how to do it right, going for the kill rather
than the flash. Even his defense, which is probably his weakest area right
now, is pretty good -you don't see or hear that much of him making the
spectacular play during a game, but more to the point, you don't hear that
much from the guy he's guarding, either.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net