WOMEN IN SPORTS

The oldest daughter of our best friends has always been an avid sports
nut.  She played sports all through school in spite of having asthma.
She went to college and majored in journalism with a dream of being a
sports writer.  She worked for the weekly paper for awhile out of
college but they sent her out to take pictures and write stories about
school board meetings, etc. She now has a high position in a hospital
administration.  I'll carry this story even further.  For the past few
years she raced at Thunder Road in Barre, VT.
She took an awful lot from the men, but she's a feisty little thing and
the harder they were on her, the more determined she became.  She became
a favorite there.  This past summer was her last season as she wants to
become a mother, but she would have made a terrific sports writer and/or
broadcaster.  It's not that they don't have the capability, the
knowledge or the education.  They are stereotyped.

As for looks, Tommy was picked because of who he is and has been to the
Celtics, not because of his looks.  I applaud them for that, I just
think they should have a play by play man and let Tommy do the analysis.

More and more women are getting into sports on all levels and at some
point there will have to be a reckoning with it.  Leah is terrible, but
there are good ones out there.
Dorine