KA Interview on WEEI

WEEI interviewd Kenny Anderson last night. I think he was still in
Portland. I liked what he had to say in general.  Some notes:

He's excited to play for Pitino. He had just met with RP to go over their
basic offense and defense, but KA thought it would take him a few games to
learn the system. He loves the system. He thinks RP is going to bring him
along slowly. He hasn't played basketball in a week and knows that he's not
in game shape - particularly Pitino-ball shape. He knows he has to get his
stamina.

He was asked if he was a head case (in so many words) and frankly, they
pressed him on this issue. His explanation was sort of a history of his
time in the NBA and collectively his answer was this:

NJ: started there. Brought along slowly his first year, starred in his
second...didn't want to sign a long term contract (they were offering $40
million at the time) because he felt that they weren't going to be bringing
in people around him to improve the team.
CH: Traded to Charlotte, played one half season...played well, no problems,
but they renounced him after the season.
PRTLD: Signed long term contract with them thinking that this is his last
stop. Got along well with PJ!! Was surprised when he was traded. Things
were not going well this year.
TRT: Did not want to go backwards in his career; did not want to play for
an expansion team in turmoil.
Boston: Wants to be here. "I plan on this being my last stop."

Are you too sensitive? Is there a sensitive side to KA? (this is where they
pressed him on the headcase issue):
He maintains that he is not overly sensitive. He explained that like most
of us, if he doesn't think the person who is criticizing him is a credible
person, he doesn't respect their criticism. I think we can all relate to
that. I think he will respect Rick because he knows that Rick knows what
he's doing and is building toward something positive.

Do you know that RP yells constantly during games?
"I got along well with PJ so that doesn't bother me." (also reference the
above answer about sensitivity).

Also, they asked why his play hasn't lived up to expectations that people
had for him coming out of high school and college.

He knows he's been inconsistent and hasn't lived up to the hype, but he
explained that different circumstances affected that (changing teams,
changing coaches, systems, etc). They pressed him again. How much is
outside forces and how much of it was KA? (great question!)

He said he always played hard, but he sidestepped taking full responsibility.

Just try to think about it for yourself and your own workplace. Those of us
who criticize these players for earning too much and then complaining where
they play, who they play for, etc. should think about our own situations.
Even if you make a lot of money, are you happy with your boss? Is your
company a good one? Are you proud to work there or just collecting a
paycheck?

Pat Riley is one to talk!!!   He was just frustrated because he couldn't
get the player he wanted and he had to give up a player he wanted to keep.
Why point fingers? In his scenario, Anderson (or any other athlete) would
report to a team (company) that he didn't want to play (work) for and just
be happy that he was making millions. He then should play as hard as he can
for an organization that is not working toward any particular goal.

It's human nature, whether you get paid millions or thousands, to want to
be happy and work in an environment and for a boss (Pitino) that is
conducive to bringing out the best in you. If you put it in those terms,
you will begin to see that the only difference between some of them and
some of us is the size of the paycheck...there are always  exceptions. It's
less frustrating and emotional in these terms as well.

Theresa