the competition, that's why

Let me break into this endless mail the trade has caused and say why I
think we had to make this trade:  Van Horn and Joe Smith.  Not to mention
Jayson Williams and Alan Iverson and Kittles and . . . see what I mean?

Our competition over the next ten years has just gotten better, with good
coaching much better.  We can't be left in the lurch.  We have to contend
with NJ and Philly now.  We have to match them talent for talent.  If they
leave us in the lurch now, we'll never catch up.

 That means we must get a quality big man to handle low defense and
rebounding.  If he's healthy, keep Popeye, and draft the best SF we can
find to fill it up like Bowen and McCarty can't.  I'm optimistic, but think we
can't wait for development.  The future is now!  (Hey, that might catch
on.)

Gene   (who knows, the ping pong ball may feel guilty about last year
and give us a reward; after seeing what Van Horn can do, we deserve
a break)