Celtics Wheelbarrow Grizzlies

Filling in again for Bill, I am happy to report that the celtics destroyed
vancouver, a bad team playing at its worst.  Basically, the Grizzlies played
as if going through the motions, allowing the celtics, with Edney and Barros
at the helm, to push things at the speed we like.  I will not be going
through the game quarter by quarter, since we led by sixteen or more for most
of the game.  We kept Bryant Reeves bottled up through double and triple
teams, pressured every ball handler, and somehow kept Shareef Abdur Rahim
under wraps as well.  The grizzlies were coming off a four day layover, so
maybe that had something to do with it.  The absence of scary enforcer Otis
Thorpe has something with it too.

OUR GUYS:
Antoine:  One of Antoine's best games, although not rebound wise.  (of
course, he pulled down seventeen last night)  No one looks more lost than
Antoine when he is out of control, but when he gathers himself, looks at the
basket when shooting, and generally plays within the speed of the game rather
than his maximum speed he looks like an all nba player.  Sharif Played him
about as well as you can, and he still did what he wanted.  he looked like he
did on his 49 point night, and had he shot more, or shot more 3 pointers, he
would have had much bigger numbers  (also, he missed five free throws).  No
spectacular passes, but he ended up with six assists somehow.

Andrew:  This was andrew's best game of the year, no doubt.  The guy might
not be able to guard the best centers in the league, but I don't see how Matt
Geiger or Elden Campbell are any better than him.  He hustles, and he is much
more fluid and athletic than his "blue collar white guy" image implies.  He
made a nice fadeaway jumper in the lane after being fouled, blocked a shot
way high against the glass, and played with mad abandon.  I love him.  To
think Rick wanted to trade him and Chauncey for Kevin Edwards!  And that the
deal fell through because he was part of the package!

Dana:  fine game.  Dana shot well and played extraordinary defense.  He has
become a very competent point guard, although his skills at the position are
very rudimentary.  But he doesnt try to do what doesn't come naturally, and
he did a great job last night.  Got a lot of those little running bankers to
go, along with his usual bailout shots.  I know Dana makes a lot of money,
but where would the celtics be without him to take the bailout shot, and to
run those last second plays?

Bowen:  strong defense effort, mediocre shooting.  (pencil this in for every
game)

Mercer:  Beautiful game for Ron.  Got beat occasionally on defense, but made
his sharp, super-crisp jumpers and drove on numerous occasions to the hoop.
 Dunked on big country. YES! on another big play, antoine drove down the
middle, made a fake, and hit Mercer on the wing, who then glided in for a
gorgeous reverse.

Walter:   Another terrific game.  Walter was SO aggressive, turning down ten
footers for five footers, attacking the basket, pulling down rebounds way
above the rim, and helping to dribble across the line.  What a guy.

Minor:  ok.  Got abused on D a couple of times i think.

Edney.  Rick doesnt seem to like Tyus, or maybe he just like's Dana more,
what with his defense and shooting.  But Tyus does the job of running the
team much better.  Soon, of course, we won't have to choose between
distribution and scoring, a theme Cousy articulated again and again, saying
"that won't happen when Anderson gets here," etc.  Incidenally, I was
interested most on what Cooz would say about Kenny, since no one knows more
about point guards, and no one is more candid.  He likes the trade a lot,
although he said it remains to be seen if Kenny will play rick-style D.  But,
he pointed out, no one ever thought Dana would play good defense either.  And
just because you're not tall doesnt mean you can't be an effective pest.

Travis:  terrible.  weak, a butterfingers, couldn't hit his shot, and I could
carve a better defender out of a bananna.  I wonder if Jerry West would take
him back?

Opposition Players of Note:

Big Country:  didn't do much, but when he got the ball down low, he was
automatic.  This guy really is good.  I think he's underrated just because
he's so damn ugly.  Seriously, along with Jeff Hornacek, who makes himself
look even more like a toothless yokel by rubbing the side of his face before
shooting free throws.  Reeves has these pink spots on the back of his head.
 Oy, I just can't look at him.  But he is so strong, and he has soft hands
too.

SAR:  super smooth, a much more polished offensive player than Antoine.  I
don't know what kind of outside shot he has.  If he has one, he didn't show
it tonight, and they could have used it.  I didn't realize he was such a good
defender.  He's pretty fast too, unlike our star, who probably couldn't beat
Acie Earl in a footrace.  But antoine abused him, both with his speed, and
with his greater physical strength.

Sam Mack:  houston reject burned up the nets from outside, and made some
pretty drives as well.  nice pickup for Vancouver

Coaching:  frown king Brian Hill had plenty to glower about tonight, given
the way his team played.  They let the celtics thrive in transition by not
taking care of the ball, and single teamed antoine, probably the last team in
the league to have not figured out that we don't have anyone to take the
pressure off except for two or three jumpshooters.  Rick seemed to let the
guys play, but then in the end they started running set plays, which is never
a pleasant sight.  He knows what he's doing, though.  Just don't trade your
wildcats!

The celtics play friday at Seattle.  Egad.